Monday, April 2, 2012

Crazy, Fast, Young Women


A friend and roommate once accused me of being a morning person.  I am not.  Fellowship is the main reason I trudged to the kitchen at 5:10AM this morning.  Today, I met up with the crazy, fast, young women running group for their 5:50AM run.  This is my name for the group.  Of the five other women I joined this morning, I am the oldest and one of the slowest.  During my most recent training, I focused on my own plan and directives from my coach and did not join them during their runs over the hills of Apex before dawn.   I ran with them in the summer and the fall, and I rejoined the group today.  I remember saying that I would never run at 5AM.  I regularly run at 6AM, and it might as well be 5AM because, in my world, that seems like an insane time to be up and at 'em.  Along my journey as a runner, I've run with a few different groups, and I am grateful for each one of them.  This group of women has pushed me to run harder, faster, longer, earlier and more hills than I ever would have on my own.  I am a better runner because of each one of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment