Monday, April 9, 2012

Appreciation for a Three Mile Run


"Three miles is not worth my going for a run,"  I said to my husband recently, half jokingly.  Today, I would like to take those words back.  At the end of the run, I was grateful for a quick three miler.   During most training for Wrightsville, my shortest runs were five miles.  On Tuesdays, my warm up and cool down totaled three miles.  Last night I chose to get a good night of rest and purposefully slept through the 5:50AM group run.  (I e-mailed them late last night to relay that I might see them on Wednesday.)   Instead,  I planned to run five miles between getting the girls to school and volunteering in my youngest's kindergarten classroom.  When the morning rush ended, I had 30 minutes to run. 

I set out disappointed that I could not log five miles.  On the run I remembered that three mile runs helped me train for the Richmond Marathon not even two years ago.  At that time I was happy to steal 30 minutes from my day on two or three days mid week to train.   I was able to continue doing something I love even though most of those miles were on a treadmill, a machine I do not love.  That was the semester I was working in a full-time internship, commuting across the triangle area, chauffeuring my kids to activities most nights of the week, and training for a marathon.  I did it all, but not well.  Those three milers kept me going.  I never again want to loose appreciation for a good three miler.  

No comments:

Post a Comment