Saturday, March 31, 2012

Camera in the Rain


I awoke to the sound of rain on this Saturday morning.   As I lay awake wondering if I would run today, the sound stopped.  Found my answer.  I do not usually start long runs in the rain -- unless I have to.   With temperatures in the 60's I knew I would be okay if I got a little wet.  I had to redeem myself for  forgetting to run on Thursday.  Well, and then for deciding to blow it off when I remembered.  Today, I would return to my normal Saturday morning routine of the long run by inching my way back up in mileage beginning with a six miler.  By the time I walked outside, it was drizzling.   Half way into the run it began to rain lightly.   It felt great!  This must be what it feels like when kids play in the rain, I thought.   I played with my speed.  At first I was slow, and by the end, I found my usual pace.  I played with my camera phone.  I paused often marveling at what I got to notice in the rain, but by the end, I was just eager to get home.  My pausing to take pictures through a plastic sandwich bag in the rain must have looked strange to any observer.  I couldn't quite believe I was doing it myself.  While I ran I wondered if the neighborhood Easter egg hunt would go on as scheduled.  Surely not.  So, on my way home I ran by the clubhouse and learned that a little rain would not stop the festivities.  When I got home, I reported the news to my family, and they set out with anticipation while I showered.  Last year I was quick enough to join them, but this year, they were quicker and returned with more candy-filled eggs than I could have ever imagined.  It seems that if you are willing to play a little in the rain, you get to notice a lot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment