Saturday, April 7, 2012

I Hire a Sitter Sometimes to Run




While I ran this morning with friends, I wondered how many moms hire a sitter for their kids sometimes so that they can go for a run.    My guess is not that many.   I did just that today.  Going for a long run on Saturdays is what I do.  My husband watches the kids while I run my long run for the week on most every Saturday morning.  This doesn't always work for various reasons, but it is almost routine.  To work around my kids' schedules and friends' kids' schedules, I go for early runs sometimes.  I run on Sundays sometimes.  And, yes, sometimes, I hire a sitter.  On these days I run, shower, and head back out for an afternoon of errands or shopping.  I planned to have a babysitter once so I could run a 10K with my friends when my husband was out of town.  The kids were sick that morning, so I missed the race.  My friends picked up my race shirt.  It was too big, as many are.  My husband wears it.  I don't plan to run races when I need a sitter anymore.  That day is simply not a race day for me.  I like our routine.  I used to feel guilty for leaving my husband with the kids, but I've come to recognize that this is their only real time together without me, and that can be special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment