Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"Running is Play"

"That was a good one,"  I said to myself after reading the Runner's World quote of the day in my car before stepping out into the cold morning air. 

"Play not only keeps us young but also maintains our perspective about the relative seriousness of things.  Running is play, for even if we try hard to do well at it, it is a relief from everyday cares."  -- Jim Fixx, the author of The Complete Book of Running.   

I don't usually liken my running to "play," bit if ever there were a day for me to do so, today was the day.  This morning I ran my first chase run, which is a four mile (with a 4.75 option), out and back workout during which runners run the same course, but begin according to speed.  The goal is for every runner to finish at the same time.  When I contemplated my conservative, expected pace, I had a sense of dread.  What if I will be passed or left behind?   

The course was a familiar greenway near Umstead State Park.  I  ran alone down the winding path through the woods toward the lake.  When I emerged from the woods, the sunlight was bright, and mist hovered over the water.  I noted the smell of fresh baked bread coming from the condos near the water's edge.  A little farther I detected the familiar fish smell and began the short, zig-zag, uphill climb before asking an on-coming chaser if I had reached the two-mile mark.  I had passed it, but not by much.  I had not been concerned about the turn around point.  I was told that I couldn't miss it and to watch for the landmarks: the gazebo, the fence, the two- mile marker on the pavement.  I've missed a turn before in a relay race.  I should have known.  My Garmin sounded at two miles, but I hadn't identified any landmarks, and I was perplexed, so I kept going.  

On my return trip, I was caught by a man I had met for the first time at the start.  He placed third in his age group at the Boston Marathon a week ago in 80 degree heat with a time of 2:46.   I was doing my tempo run while he did a recovery run. He talked easily while I was self- conscious that my breathing was heavy, and I constantly glanced at my wrist for my pace.  We talked about Boston and its heat and how he handled it by slowing his pace.   When we passed another man, not with our chase, he called out my companion's name and congratulated him.  It seemed my companion was a running celebrity.  I have never run with someone so accomplished in this realm.  Later, I learned he holds the chase time record.   We ascended the final hill where fellow chasers awaited our return.   "That was the longest four miler," our leader called out while clicking the stop watch.  He had heard I went too far.  I was indeed the last chaser.   It was still fun, and I'll be back.  And, I will reframe future runs as play even if I'm not part of a chase through the woods.  

No comments:

Post a Comment