Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Forks over Knives




On today's pre-dawn eight miler, a running companion mentioned "The Purpose Driven Life," a book I have not read.  My purpose -- that I have figured out-- is to be the best mom I can be.  I am certain that I am supposed to be a runner, too.  The joy and energy it gives me helps me in the endeavor of being this best mom.


Last night my husband and I watched "Forks Over Knives," a documentary on food and health recommended by another runner friend.  
Today is my day to become much more serious about what foods my family and I use to fuel our bodies.   I know I sound like a broken record;  I have health food cook books and have known we should eat better.  The impetus to watch the documentary came yesterday after learning my body mass index (BMI) percentage has crept up nearly three percent.  It has been a couple of years since my last measurements.  I rationalized that a few pounds of weight gain had to be attributed to increased muscle mass.  After all, I have never run so far or fast.  Evidently, when I stopped lifting weights and ate what I wanted, I gained not only weight, but also fat.  Runner's World warns about this frequently.  I still did not see this coming.  


Ironically, I patted myself on the back two days ago while comparing what I pack in my children's lunches to what some other families pack.   I criticized the school cafeteria food along with the rack of potato chips conveniently located by the cash register.  I have much work to do in many different areas, and changing the foods we eat might be part of my purpose.  Because if I can do a better job of teaching my girls how to eat properly to fuel their bodies, that could set them up for a lifetime of good choices and a healthy lifestyle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment