Tuesday, April 17, 2012

80 Degrees at the Boston Marathon


I qualified.  I did it.  I finished.  These are some of my new runner friend's words on Facebook describing finishing the Boston Marathon yesterday in temperatures in the 80's.  We became fast friends while churning through 800 meter repeats together on the track at dawn.   At least that's my take on it.  Except for these words, her take on her race practically shouted for joy as I read it.  I could feel her energy rising from my computer even as I pictured her collapsed into a comfy chair with her skin scorched by the sun and legs exhausted.   No one would want to set out on a 26 mile run in temperatures such as what the racers saw.  But, it was Boston.  

Yesterday, as I was looking for race coverage, I saw the weather report and gasped.  I felt terrible for the runners. Could this have been the reason for which I did not get a spot in the race?  I know there is a reason I didn't get to make the trip.  I read that because of the extreme heat, runners could opt to defer their registration until next year.  My heart dropped.  If they defer, how can qualifiers for next year's race get a spot?  I had been so hopeful that I would get to be there next year.  I'll have to find a different goal now, I thought.   My husband tried to cheer me by stating that people would run the race.  He reasoned that he knew that once I get to Boston, nothing, and I mean nothing, would keep me from running that race.  The news later in the day that around 5,000 racers deferred left me dejected.  

This morning I read that the numbers reported yesterday were erroneous.  According to Runner's World around 500 people deferred.   I felt a glimmer of hope again.   I was proud of not only my friend,  but also the collective running community gathered in Boston.  What determination!  Re-energized and optimistic,  I went out for some speed work.  I grabbed the details of my ladder training plan, but forgot my camera -- again.  As I sped along the neighborhood trail, a women admired an unusually large tortoise.  I yelled out that I wish I had my camera, but even if I had, I wouldn't have stopped.  

No comments:

Post a Comment