Monday, April 1, 2013

Running Sucks



My husband shared a podcast with me this week entitled "Running SUCKS."  The message is really that running is enjoyable.  The podcast begins by focusing on the joy of running in early childhood.  Small children run a lot just because they can, and it's fun for them.  Then when children enter the school years and have to compete against each other in gym class, etc., some children decide that running sucks (although let's hope they don't express themselves in that way).  I did not feel that way, but I imagine that a lot of kids do.  I noted what I couldn't do well in comparison to others.  For instance, during my junior high years, volleyball sucked.  It hurt to serve the ball with my arm, and I was clearly no good at it in front of my peers.   To this day I have no interest in playing volleyball --- ever.  And, I talk to numerous adults who have no interest in running -- ever.

The premise of the podcast is that adults can find joy in running again.  When you grow up, you can run for the fun of it without an audience, with no one hovering with a stop watch (although you might subject yourself to something similar by strapping a sports watch or Garmin to your wrist).   You don't have to run in a gym or on a track.  You can decide with whom, where, and how far, how fast and for how long.

In my last post, I mentioned that this is the time when I need to be at my most mentally tough during my training for Boston.  This past week had its highs and lows.  On Monday my packet from the Boston Athletic Association arrived in the mail.  I was happy and excited to have my "Passport" for the event.  On Wednesday I met with my coach to prepare for the race.  She talked so highly of it that I was excited again.  And then came my one and only 22 miler on Thursday. (I missed some high mileage runs because of a minor injury.)

During that run, my legs felt like lead.  I maintained my target pace of 9:15-9:30 for 16 miles, and then I ran slower with each passing mile.  I remembered the podcast and actually thought running sucks!  I felt defeated.  This will be my last marathon...  I was so slow that I stopped after mile 21 and stood motionless and exasperated on the trail.  I had not been able to muster any positive mantras or affirmations as I had last week when I was "running with joy and gratitude."  Running sucked in that moment.  I was able to finish the run.  Amazingly, when all the miles were factored together, my overall pace was pretty much on target at 9:31.  Now, where can I find a volleyball?

Three Weeks to go until Boston:

Mon.:   6 hilly miles; 9:24 pace
Tues.:   6.62 miles; 4 x 1200m at 7:45 pace with 400m jogs in between, plus warm up and cool down
Wed.:   day off
Thurs.: 22 miles; 9:31 pace
Fri.:      day off
Sat.:      5 hilly miles at 9:46 pace
Sun.:   15 miles: 9:10 pace

The link below is the podcast that my husband shared with me.  He knows the man named Cliff who wanted his wife to pull the car to his exact location after finishing a race.  I can relate.
Running SUCKS

No comments:

Post a Comment