Tuesday, April 9, 2013

One Week Until the Boston Marathon


I'm a new member of a Facebook group of Boston runners, and one runner posted on Monday about her thoughts exactly one week before the race - during the time the race will be run.  She commented that she was happy and nervous at the same time.  I read her post on Monday night.   My Monday went by in a flash and without thoughts about running.  It was a "rest" day for me.  This is what I was doing exactly one week from the race:  1) Volunteering in my 1st-grade daughter's classroom during literacy centers and stuffing homework folders, 2) Eating a protein-loaded salad while mentally suffering from carbohydrate withdrawal before carbo loading begins, and 3) Making a mad dash to a tween girls' clothing store for appropriate shorts for my growing 5th-grade daughter after seeing the shorts that she tried to wear to school on the first warm day.

It doesn't seem like it can be only a week away.  During the taper I've felt the expected nervous energy, but I haven't wanted to run, almost dreading each run because I'm just so tired of running and meeting objectives, specific times and paces.  Friends and acquaintances have been kind to wish me well.  I really do appreciate it.  I find it interesting when some ask if I've run a marathon.  I simply answer yes.  Not everyone lives in the world of running and understands that one qualifies for Boston?

Today I am conflicted as I go into the home stretch.  I am grateful for my healing and my ability to run.  The competitor in me is sad that I was not able to train to the fullest,  and I have doubts about my readiness for the hills.   Now that I've acknowledged that I feel this way, I can let it go and do what I can on race day.

Training this past week as I tapered with two weeks to go:
Monday:  Day off
Tuesday:  6 miles; 8:46 pace
Wednesday:  2 miles warm up, 1 mile cool down and 6X800m at 7:27 pace with 200m jogs in between
Thursday:  cycling class
Friday:  6 miles; 4 miles at 9 minute pace and 2 miles at 8:15 pace
Saturday:  Day off
Sunday:  12 miles; 9:11 pace


Last week of training:

Monday:  Day off
Tuesday:  5 hilly miles at 9 minute pace
Wednesday:  7 miles; 4 easy and 3 at 8:15 pace,  plus deep tissue massage
Thursday night:  4 miles at  9 minute pace plus 6x100 strides
Friday:  day off (for travel)
Saturday:  day off
Sunday:  2 easy miles
Monday:  BOSTON MARATHON


I will probably post a quick update to my blog after the race and then write a race report in the week(s) following the race.





No comments:

Post a Comment