Thursday, August 16, 2012

Little Red Riding Hood of Marathon Training

 



Today I switched things up at the last minute and headed to the ATT for a weekday run.  I drove my youngest daughter to school after picture day preparation drama, which led to her missing the bus.  Then instead of my usual Thursday drive to the Y, I went to the trail to experience some last minute independence before my girls track out of school for three weeks.  I am determined to make this a good vacation from school for them even though I feel out of synch.  Who would want to be on summer break when all of your after school activities start for the year?    

I don't remember the last time I ran on the trail during the week, but I do it from time to time.  Today I was in luck when I saw a friend's basket filled with training provisions on another friend's car.  I set out  in their preferred direction hoping to connect with them.  Sure enough, as I began, they were finishing their first six miles and headed toward the basket.  One of these women is the self-proclaimed little red riding hood of marathon training.  I know she is seriously in training when she brings her basket of extra bottles and GU.  She usually does long runs on Saturday, but she altered her training because of weekend family plans.  We enjoyed five slow, flat miles together.  And, I added on until I reached six miles.  When I drove away, I had a feeling that this morning was just right.  


No comments:

Post a Comment