Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Changing Plans Amid Aches and Pains

To prepare for the Bourbon Chase, I made a training plan based on my past plans and the runner and racer plans on the Chase website.   I've been evaluating the resulting plan and trying to decide if and how to adjust it.   The reason is twofold: First, I've got some aches and pains, and second, I'm doubting my hill training element is strenuous enough.

A little over a week ago, I had a message and asked the therapist to focus on my legs.  For a few days after the message, beginning with the first run, I noticed a pain or soreness deep inside the tissue of my upper leg. That eventually faded.

On my long Saturday run, I noticed my right, front foot was sore.  Then I realized I had experienced that the previous weekend.   This gives me pause.  I decided to monitor it this week before considering how or if to approach Saturday's run.  Do I rest now with the hope that this goes away well before the race? I want to push onward, but common sense says to rest so as to not risk injury.

I've felt something like this before while training for a marathon.  My orthopedist informed me that I was on the verge of a stress fracture,  and that I would not be running my race.  I continued to train with cycling classes, aqua jogging, and a few runs at times.  I went to the starting line thinking I might only make it a few miles.  I was able to complete the race without pain or injury.    

Additionally, a friend mentioned that I should consider running more hills to prepare, and she suggested Umstead State Park for some short runs together.  That is where one goes to work the hills.  I used to go there on Saturdays, but for a shorter, weekday run it seems logistically difficult to get there with kids' schedules and a husband in training, too.  I will run in Umstead again, just not now.

Alternatively, I can join friends for their mid-week, eight-mile, hilly course.  I would rather take my planned cycling and yoga classes mid morning than face this run.  If I am healthy, this will do me good.  My first leg of the Chase is ranked as difficult with its 8.4 miles of hills.  I'll give it a go in the morning.     

No comments:

Post a Comment