Monday, February 10, 2014

Boston Training: Week 9; Smartwool Love and Chili Powder Baton

This has been a particularly cold winter here in Apex, NC.  Last winter I ran in the early morning and cold temperatures.  This year I am able to run later in the morning, but even then the temperatures are typically in the 30's.  I gave myself a Christmas present this year and ordered some Smartwool products to help keep me warm on cold training runs.  I have been wearing my Smartwool hat and socks regularly and have even used the arm warmers on two runs that have not required a jacket.  I would recommend all three products.  They keep me warm, are fashionable, and have held up in the wash.  I don't like to spend a lot of money on clothes, but I do spend money on running gear.  I got all the products at 40% off, so I felt good about the purchase.



In my last post, I mentioned the snow event here.  On my 16 mile run, I encountered some snow and ice covered sidewalks.  My plan had been to run on the Tobacco Trail, but it was covered in snow and ice, so I took to the streets, which can mean sidewalks at times.  I was frustrated when I came to these patches and stopped and walked at times or ran through the snowy grass.  I did not turn around because I was on a mission that day:  I ran to the grocery store to buy chili powder for my husband.  Just as I was about to leave the house, he mentioned that he needed chili powder to cook a pot of chili for dinner.  It was clear that either I was running to the store, or I would be waiting for him to run an errand as I waited dressed out in my Smartwool. Easy choice.  Run to the store.  At the store I chatted with a former neighbor and the Girl Scouts beginning to set up their cookie booth and then began the trek back home.  I ran carrying the chili powder like a baton, and on the return trip I ran on the ice and snow.  I saw some other runners doing that, so I decided I could give it a try.  It really wasn't that bad once I set my mind to it.  In the end, I was glad that I did not run on the Tobacco Trail.  A friend reported that her group could not go faster than a 10 minute pace because of the ice and snow and that their muscles ached from having to land each footstep to keep from falling.

My first pair of toe socks.  I love them!  I feel like a cozy blanket covers each toe.  


My training is going well now.  With regular, focused stretching and strength exercises recommended by my sports medicine doctor almost a month ago, I have been able to decrease the discomfort I feel with Runner's Knee.  I am happy at the end of each run knowing that I am one step closer to Boston.

Sat.: 16 miles on rolling roads; 9:04 average pace
Sun.: rest
Mon.: 6 miles; 9:42 pace
Tues.: 10.8 hilly miles; 9:02 average pace
Wed.: 6 miles (I was supposed to do 7); 9:48 pace + 8 X 100 meter strides
Thurs.: Cross train or day off (I took the day off.)
Fri.: 6 miles; 9:46 pace + 6 X 100 meter strides


No comments:

Post a Comment