Sunday, December 16, 2012

Where Did She Go?

This week I had tea with a friend who is training to run the Boston Marathon.  She reminded me that a year-and-a-half ago, I sat relaxed in a comfortable chair in a friend's living room and stated that if I made it to Boston, I was going to enjoy the run and take in the scenery.

Where did that woman go? She sounds like someone with whom I'd like to spend time and share runs. She was calm and confident and simply seeking a wonderful new experience.  I would be drawn to such a person and think that I'd like to qualify so that I could enjoy the sights and sounds along the famous course.

That woman has been replaced by a strange, competitive runner who has no one to compete against except herself.  She reads books, articles and blog posts about the Boston Marathon and adheres closely to a training schedule designed for speed from Hopkinton to the finish line.

Training last week:
Monday:  6 miles; 9:21 average pace on rolling course
Tuesday: weights
Wednesday: Steady negative run; 7 rolling miles; 8:49 average pace
Thursday:  5 miles;  9:15 pace, (forgot to do 8 strides) plus weights
Friday:  cycling/yoga (had conflict in schedule, so not completed)
Saturday:  12 miles; 9:23 average pace on rolling course



No comments:

Post a Comment