Sunday, December 9, 2012

First Week of Boston Training

This has been an eventful first week of training, and I have three areas on which to report:  coaching, training, and attending a workshop.

First, my coach is no longer coaching as she used to, but she will assist me with my training.  No more second guessing.  I will follow her training plan for me to the best of my ability and have confidence that I prepared in the best way possible when I go into the race.

Training this past week:
Monday:  4 miles, easy
Tuesday:  2 mile warm up + 5 miles of alternating 3 minutes up tempo and 2 minute jogs
Wednesday:  rest (I had scheduled weight training.  Which excuse would you like?)
Thursday:  5 miles, easy
Friday:  cycling class + yoga class
Saturday:  11 miles at 9:15 to 9:45 pace
Sunday:  workshop

Today I attended a Good Running Form Workshop presented by New Balance at Fleet Feet in Raleigh.  As a result, I am humbled.  Seven other women and I were video taped using an exclusive running application on an iPad, and we learned our number of foot strikes per minute.  To run fast, easy and injury free, runners should aim for a cadence of 180 foot strikes per minute.  We were all around 150, which we were told is where most runners are. The humbling part for me is that I worked on this briefly in the Spring.  I thought I would be closer to 180.  So, now I have even more work to do during training, and I will have many miles during which to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment