Sunday, December 2, 2012

Boston Marathon Training Begins!

"The Legendary Boston Marathon:  the oldest, grandest and most exclusive marathon in the world.  Millions aspire to run Boston, but only 25,000 meet the strict qualifying standards to run a course that is considered one of the toughest in the world.

If you're planning to race Boston, you had better know what you're up against. The course may look innocent, but as experts will tell you, it can be brutal.  If you're not ready, if you don't understand the intricacies of the course, Boston can eat you alive. ( Boston Marathon:  The Legendary Course Guide by Raymond Britt)."

When I aspired to run Boston, I didn't know it is one of the toughest courses -- in the world.  I'd heard of Heartbreak Hill, but until I qualified, I did not know about the other hills that wear out legs before ever reaching the iconic hill.

I've felt nervous anticipation this week while mentally and physically preparing for training.  I'm still not acclimated to the cooler morning temperatures or the super early morning work, but I don't think there is a good way to ease into those things.   I recently met with a friend who ran Boston last year, and she shared the Course Guide with me along with her insights.  Now, it's as if I know too much.  But, better to know too much than to toe the line unprepared.

I've also been uneasy because my coach is no longer coaching.  How can I pull this off without her support and knowledge and being accountable to her?  I  have second guessed myself each day, but this is my plan:  to follow my last training plan that worked beautifully and to add the hills of Umstead Sate Park for many of my long runs.

Tonight when I look at the legal pad (old school, I  know!) on which I've written my plan, I have some peace.  Many nights before when I studied upcoming workouts, I wondered if I was capable of carrying out the plan.  I had never run so long at this new race pace or even incorporated speed work into my plans.  It  turned out that, on most days, I was able to hit the paces and mileage required; I fell short just a few days. Knowing I've done this before gives me confidence that I can prepare again even without a coach.

I used to ask the question, "How does one approach training for Boston?" I reasoned three possible scenarios exist: enjoy the run and not worry about a time goal; aim to finish in the time of your qualifying race; or, train to run even faster.  There is no one way to answer the question, and I can only answer it for myself.  Now, I can't imagine someone deciding to take it easy in this race.  After all, it's Boston.  I worked too hard to get here to slack off now.  Another friend training for Boston is looking to better her time substantially.  Since qualifying, my goal has been to finish the course in the same amount of time I ran my qualifying race (even though it was a fast and flat course).  Now that I know too much, this will become one of my goals, a challenge type of goal.  My other two goals will be more reasonable, and I will begin to sense what they will be while I train.   I once read it's good to have three different race goals so that one is not disappointed with the outcome.

A few weeks ago I was not looking forward to the months long process of training.  I am reminded as I look ahead to this first week that enjoying the process of preparing for a race is just as rewarding as the race itself.  I know that is true, but I so look forward to the feeling I will have when I cross the finish line on April 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment