Thursday, July 12, 2012

Y Run Gone Awry

I thought I had my act together this morning only to find out that I did not.  I made it to the YMCA to lift weights and then join the group run.  I saw two members who often run with the group in the weight room, and one asked if I had already finished the run. I immediately knew what had happened:  The run had been moved an hour earlier, and I had missed the notice in my e-mail last week.   I had confirmed with a friend that I would be there, so I felt pretty bad.

I went outside determined to catch her on the run.  I couldn't get my Garmin to work, so I noted the time and took off hoping to run into her.  We converged at an intersection near the Y.  Had I been a minute or two later, I would have missed her.  She was with another runner who was pushing the pace, and I happily joined their run through a neighborhood.  They were kind to add on another two miles or so through Bond Park to keep me company.

I was able to joke about being early for the run and make light of my perfectionism when talking about training for the Bourbon Chase.  I had the other runner laughing and commenting on it later in the locker room.   When we parted, I headed out again through the Park to make an even hour of it.  I was delighted that I saw my friend, and that we shared a run and a nice conversation (at a fast pace).  And then I enjoyed my freedom to slow the pace and take in the scene of families around the lake feeding ducks, fishing and using the paddle boats.  I got to notice a large, unusual bird bathing in the water and spotted an ancient pay phone undetected until today.  Even though the morning didn't go as planned, it worked out nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment