Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Let the Training Begin!

I started training this week for my third Kentucky Bourbon Chase relay through the great state of Kentucky in September.  That is the reason I met a friend and member of the crazy, fast, young women running group (the name I dubbed them) for a speed workout.  I have a few observations from the run:

First, I was delighted to discover the new Hunter Street Park in Apex.  We ran on the paved, mostly- flat, half-mile path around ball fields.  This nearby, local resource is a good distance for speed work and seems to be undiscovered and not yet used by the running masses.  I saw a few people running nearby, but they did not venture onto our loop.  

Second, I was reminded that running is more fun when enjoyed with others, and particularly with those who share common goals.  My friend and I ran together, but we mostly ran toward each other around the loop. At each point of connection, we encouraged each other.  The loop is a good distance to feel that you are doing your own workout, yet to have a sense that you are working out with others.  When we began she uttered, "I'm a distance runner; I don't enjoy this!" referring to our speed work.  I could have said the same thing (and have in the past).  It's amazing how you cannot enjoy something, yet still do it, and find joy in the completion of the task.  

And finally, I have some serious work to do to get back to top form.  And, that is why one trains.  At one point when our paths crossed, my friend called out that we were subjecting ourselves to this for Boston.  It's not only my running that I need to work on, but also my outlook and mindset.  We both qualified for the Boston Marathon in Wrightsville this Spring.  She is looking and thinking ahead to running Boston, and that is motivating and inspiring.  I have not been thinking that way, but should be.  After all, distance running is a mental game.  I have got to get my head in the game.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ms June! Your head is in the game. We run because we can and we can because we choose to.

    I love your blog! You are an inspiration for athletes.

    ReplyDelete