Tuesday, July 24, 2012

TRX and Tabata



When my friend and I joined the group this morning, another woman was hooking her TRX to the fence at the baseball diamond.   We concurred that we don't enjoy the early morning speed workout, yet there we were.  The woman with the TRX enjoys strength training; I enjoy running.  She went about running and TRXing; I just ran.   Before leaving, the strength training aficionados invited me to do Tabata with them.  This is not runner speak. My friend new to running reminded me last week that we runners have a language of our own, which can seem intimidating to a newbie.  We throw out terms like half, ladder, etc.  Apparently, others throw out terms like Tabata.  From what I can tell, Tabata is a series of different plank poses to work core muscles that is timed to music.  And, there is an app for that, actually several different apps.  So there we were doing variations of planks that I didn't know existed in the freshly-mowed, damp, warm season grass.

I resolve to incorporate TRX into my next speed workout at the park.  And, I will deviate from my staid, predictable ladder and do half mile repeats.  I already know I don't enjoy those, but maybe starting with an 800 instead of a mile will help to power me through the duration of the workout.


No comments:

Post a Comment