Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Why run the Ky Bourbon Chase relay?

Today my husband and I went for a run together.  He was working from home, and I was working on a room parent project while the kids were at school.  In the past, we rarely ran together.  He started running a year-and-a-half ago, and he is usually at home with the kids (if they aren't in school) when I am running.  But in the last month, we have run together several times.

He led me on his four mile course, and I fell in line with his pace.  When we first started, I was excited about the work crew assembled in our yard to remove overzealous creeping juniper and brown grass to make way for a new carpet of zoysia sod.  From experience I know that one project leads to another, and I chatted about my upcoming job of spreading 15 cubic yards of mulch.

Then we settled into a comfortable silence, much like what I experienced on Saturday's long run with a friend when we talked and then enjoyed a quiet run together until she ran ahead.  I am glad that my husband and I can share this interest in running.  His first real taste of the sport in his adult life was when he drove a van for my team's 200 mile relay race through Kentucky two years ago.  He saw how crazy we were, but we had so much fun, that I suppose he wanted to join us.

The next year he did run the race with us and combined his new interest in running with a long-standing interest in film making.  He produced a short video about why one might want to run the Kentucky Bourbon Chase, and I'm sharing it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment