Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Return to the Chase

This morning I redeemed myself at the chase run.  The weather was surprising cool for this time of year in the 60's.  The group did better than our predicted times.  It worked out as planned with all the runners finishing at about the same time.  For four miles I was right behind a woman who started 20 seconds ahead of me.  I kept wondering when I would catch her.  We were both ahead of pace and only in the last 200 meters did I decide to make a move.  I increased my speed to catch her at the end.

The scenery along the wooded greenway was lovely and enhanced by the early morning light.  At the end of two miles, I saw a break in the woods and the sun shining on the lake.  Then I knew to look down for the two mile marker, which I missed on my first chase run.  Found it!

On the return trip I continued to notice the amount of effort it took to keep pace.  I marveled at how I could have run as fast as I did in my last marathon.  Obviously I'm not in competitive shape now. The best thing about this morning is that I was accompanied by two friends.  If they hadn't decided to go with me, there is a good chance that I would have slept through the 6AM start.  One of them had run the chase several times last year and the other, with an adventurous spirit, was new to the chase.   I look forward to the next chase!

No comments:

Post a Comment