Saturday, June 9, 2012

Serendipity

I was content when I awoke this morning after having collapsed into a bed last night in my five-year-old's bedroom.  I had pleasant memories of the previous evening, but recognized that my body was tired after being out late with my little Lady Antebellum fan.

I walked, probably a mile, from the car with a packed backpack and a beach chair in each hand to the concert venue and then made the return trip. Of course there was the repeated hoisting of dear daughter and dancing with her on my shoulders. I got some strength and endurance training.

I did not want to get out of bed, but when I did, communication glitches kept me from making the start of my planned run with friends. I also missed going out with another group of friends, but I knew where to find them and reasoned that I would either catch them or run into them and return with them, so off I went.

After a few miles when I was feeling the heat of the day and tightness in my calves, my coach appeared on a bicycle beside me by coincidence and asked how my running is coming along.

She observed my new form and critiqued it.  Her advice: Lean slightly forward and land more on my mid foot (instead of my forefoot), and maybe practice in a mirror. At the same time, she complimented me and said that my form has never looked better. What must I have looked like before, I wondered. She peddled on.

Farther along I saw some women approaching with whom I have shared track workouts. Momentarily, I was tempted to turn and join them (cutting my run short, too), but I had yet to catch my intended target group.

Finally, I saw a familiar braided ponytail swinging from side to side in the distance. I caught my friends and time passed quickly while we talked about an upcoming half marathon, early married life, injuries, and the like.

Almost to the end and closing in on mile 11, I saw another friend running toward us who has been injured and was on the trail for the first time in months.  We had a mini reunion and celebration. I was so happy to see her that I told my companions that I'd catch up with them later and turned to run with her before turning back and finishing the run to the Police's "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic."


It was a somewhat magical and serendipitous run. I could have stayed in bed. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised, repeatedly, and joyous throughout the run. When I rejoined the group, it was reward time with fresh, homemade raspberry and blueberry muffins. If I ever need an external motivator  to join this group on a Saturday, it is the promise of post-run baked goods.  But every day that I run, my internal motivator is the promise that I will feel good after a run. And, today I felt simple, sweet serendipity.


No comments:

Post a Comment