Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hurt but Fine



Recently, I wrote that I always feel better after a run.  This morning I used that thought as an affirmation, repeatedly, during a muggy, sluggish, mid-morning run.  By the time I finished walking the last mile, I was grateful for what the day gave me.

I was ready to go this morning after tending to a sick child for days and missing some workouts.  When I started I was curious to learn how my new running equipment would work.  My husband gave me a neon pink Spibelt and two water bottles for my birthday this week.  His timing and gift selection were perfect.

On Saturday I felt like a pack horse during my long run wearing my fuel belt.  I took it off on the trail and placed it by the 2.5 mile marker and opted to carry one of the little bottles with a worn out cap, which leaked sticky, blue Gatorade on me for the rest of the run.  I have been wanting the little belt and a bottle to hold in my hand while I run.

The new belt worked great!  I will have to get used to the water bottles.  During the run I couldn't believe how much my hand was sweating against the plastic of the bottle.  I wondered why they can't make a water bottle that could keep me from feeling that way.  My husband informs me that it wasn't my hand sweating, but just the condensation from the cool contents of the bottle meeting the summer air.  Maybe it won't bother me so much the next time.

Into the fifth mile and heading for home, I stopped to take a picture of a weather vane atop a well tended home that I've passed, but never noticed.   Just past that house, I studied a familiar house in contrast, which I assume a bank has foreclosed.  I didn't dwell for long on that though because I twisted my ankle.

At the intersection of two roads, the pavement was uneven where one road has yet to be sufficiently surfaced.  I have run this route countless times, but today I went down.   The pain was fast and sharp.  I cried out a curse word and plopped myself on the curb.  At first I didn't think I could make it home.  Then I hobbled a bit and began the walk home, and I was fine.  Even though it was hot, and I got hurt, I was still better off than before the run began.  As I write, my ankle is swollen.  Tomorrow I will rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment