Monday, December 30, 2013

Boston Marathon Training: Week 3

I ran 7 miles in the rain on Tuesday and had to reroute my planned, relatively-flat route early on because of flooding on the greenway. 

Sat.:  13 miles on hilly roads; 9:13 average pace
Sun.: Day off
Mon.: 7 miles of hills in the rain; 9:16 average pace + 8 X 100 m strides
Tues.: 8 miles with 6 at an 8:14 average pace.  Christmas Eve morning run.
Wed.: Christmas; day off
Thurs.:  traveling; day off
Fri.: 4.84 miles; 9:47 average pace

Last week I ran on a local greenway that passes under the Triangle Expressway.  I was reminded why I recently made the move from that area of Apex to a newly developing area.  I used to run on that greenway before the six lane toll road was constructed and made its debut in Southwestern Wake County.  My family and I were content in our home.  When the road construction began, I grew nervous knowing that the road was close to my side of the subdivision.  When it opened my fears were confirmed.  From my once tranquil setting, I could hear the traffic from inside my house and outside when I ran and worked in the yard.  Time to move.

My family and I have been living in an apartment for four months while our new home is being built. It's been a long four months.  During this time I have become more grateful for what I once thought was a simple lifestyle in a house.

During the process of preparing our house for the market, showing the house, packing, moving belongings to a storage unit, and moving, I was not active on this blog.  One week I was barely able to work out.

This week on my long Saturday run, my task was to run on the roads.  I chose to run from my apartment to my new house and back.  My new neighborhood is hilly, and I will live at the bottom of a  hill.  I ran through the streets of my new neighborhood to my house, touched the front door, turned around and ran up that hill for the first time.  When rerouting my Monday run because of flooding, I ran back to the house and this time went inside to look around for a minute.  I emerged from the house and ran out into the rain for the first time...


No comments:

Post a Comment