Monday, February 4, 2013

Caged

I have been reminded twice this past week how fragile we are, yet how strong the spirit can be. Encouraging words and prayers of a dear friend have helped lift me through the week.  I was reminded again to be thankful for the capability of my body and for the motivation to use it to run for my physical, mental and spiritual well being.  Running is a gift.

My Thursday run was a gift, but I didn't realize it in the moment.  I was anxious about how I would feel and how far I could go, so I chose to run on a treadmill.  On the cardio balcony at the Y, I felt caged.  The sides of the treadmill wrapped around me, and black netting hung in front of me to protect me from children's stray balls.  A man on the elliptical machine next to me worked at a frenzied pace for 30 minutes and then left me in peace.  It was cold outside, and I thought the run, if I could do it, would be a reprieve from the elements.  Instead, it reminded me of how much I love to run outside.

Boston Training:  Week Nine

Monday:  50 mins. bike
Tuesday: 1 hr. bike + 1 hr. elliptical
Wednesday: cycling class + yoga class
Thursday:  rest
Friday:  8 miles on treadmill
Saturday:  90 mins. bike
Sunday: rest

No comments:

Post a Comment