Sunday, October 21, 2012

We Have a Team!


My husband and I plan to participate in the first Tuna Run 200 this coming weekend.  This is a new, overnight relay race from Garner, NC to Atlantic Beach, NC.  We are happy to have found and joined the team "Can't Sea Strait."

Since we first learned of the race, we have wanted to run it and even tried to pull together a 12-person team using my husband's 25% off team registration discount for winning a Tuna Run contest, but the majority of our local runner friends are not eager to participate in these types of events.

There are many unknowns going into the race.  We meet with our teammates for the first time tomorrow, and there is no prior knowledge of the best places to eat and rest along the way.  What is certain is that we are running toward a party on the beach with plenty of delicious tuna.

I have recovered from the Bourbon Chase, which isn't yet three weeks past.  Missing a full night of sleep while running 19 miles, along with a drive to and from Kentucky with my kids in tow, took a lot out of me and a few days of recovery.

I am a fierce competitor with myself, and even though my last leg of the Chase was splendid, I was unhappy after the run because I was slow on that last leg, as reported by my husband when I reached the exchange point.  I finally looked at my Garmin report this week and saw that I was not slow.  I was right on pace.  By that point our team as a whole was running a little behind, so my husband interpreted that to mean that I was slow when he looked at our clipboard chart with times and legs.

Since the Cupcake 5K and the Chase, I haven't jumped back into training.  I have run a few miles here and there and tackled a 10 miler on Saturday to prepare for the Tuna Run.  I am approaching this race much differently than the Chase.  This one is for fun.  I reported my expected time to be at a 9 minute pace.  That means I haven't put any pressure on myself and should be able to enjoy the scenery along the way and tuna at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment