Friday, October 26, 2012

Tuna Run 200 Race Report


The inaugural Tuna Run 200 was a good first effort with plenty of room for growth.  The 204 mile route started in Garner, NC, just outside of Raleigh, and ended on the boardwalk at Atlantic Beach. Fifty-four teams participated, and with word-of-mouth from participants and the right marketing, it will grow.  If you're looking for an overnight relay race that is all about the running and/or spending time with your teammates, and live close to the race, this one is for you.

My team was comprised of 11 adventurous, athletic women and one man (my husband).  The race director was very helpful while my husband and I searched for a team to join after being unable to convince enough of our local friends to form a team.  We found team "Can't Sea Strait" about a week before the race.



Our first runner began at 6AM on Friday, and our last runner finished thirty-three hours and forty-one minutes later on Saturday afternoon.   My husband and I were in Van 2 from which our first runner began around noon. The conditions at the early start were wet, but that gave way to two sunny days in the mid to upper 70's with low humidity.  The temperature hovered around 50 degrees at night.

I'll offer my impression as a veteran overnight relay runner of three Kentucky Bourbon Chases and then recount my specific experience.

The Best of the Race
*Teamwork
*Empowerment
*Running

The Good
*Mostly flat, well-marked course
*Easy and ample parking at exchange points
*Churches as exchange points with hospitable members providing encouragement and sometimes drinks and snacks in the night
*Nice restroom facilities at churches
*Hot breakfast at a church for $5
*Police patrolling night runs adding a sense of security in unfamiliar surroundings
*Cool race shirt and finisher medal
*Finish line on the beach.

Areas for Improvement
*Communities' support and connection to the race
*Number of volunteers or race staff support and presence at exchanges and finish
*Wrist slap bands for batons
*Homeowners along the course securing their dogs
*Finish line party could become epic.



My First Run: Leg 11; Bentonville Battlefield Historical Association to Selah Christian Church
My goal was to run a 9 minute pace; no pushing myself on this relay.  My heart started beating faster just before I got the baton for 6.61 miles around 4PM.  The two-lane road offered very little shade and no shoulder. I tried to stay on the white line as I ran surrounded by soybean and cotton fields.

I passed a Confederate flag flying at a Confederate tour site and a gas station that seemed lost in time with its early to mid 20th century facade.  Then a caravan of huge construction vehicles swooshed by me as I ran just off the road.  When peace and solitude returned, I noted several majestic hardwood trees from what must remain of a bygone era. Nearing the end, I ran past a sign that identified a stand of pine trees having been planted in 1973 after the area had burned.  When I ran past a cotton field, I bent down and grabbed a handful of cotton left behind at the harvest as a souvenir.  Besides noticing all this, the only other thought I had was that I was hot.  And, that's about all I could say after the run when I was encouraged by a man who turned out to be part of an ultra team.



Van 2 was active from noon to 6PM.  Then we stopped in Mt. Olive for dinner at My Pizza Village, which I would recommend when seeking to refuel on carbs.  After dinner I drove to our next exchange zone at Pink Hill Elementary School where we rested in my mini van.  Sleep would not come, so I listened to two calming Enya CD's on my iPod.  When van 1 arrived at the exchange, it was following our runner closely.  Our teammates warned us about dogs.

Our van become active again around midnight to 6AM.  The police presence reassured us after we got started, but like van 1, we decided that we would stay with our runner.  It was dark with very little moonlight in a rural area with lots of dogs defending their territories with a cacophony of barking.



My Second Run: Leg 23; Comfort Elementary School to Chinquapin Chapel Baptist Church
I began around 4AM after watching my teammates dodge encounters with dogs in the dark.  I had driven strategically so that the van shielded our runners from dogs. Needless to say I was anxious and fearful when I started and had told my teammates that I wanted this leg to end as quickly as possible, which is sad because the night runs can be amazing.  My average pace on this 8.21 mile leg was 8:24.

Picture this:  I started running with a water bottle so as not to break my stride, the baton around my thumb because it was too small, and a can of mace to fend off dogs.  Soon thereafter I passed my water back to the van because I couldn't hold all that stuff.  I had technical difficulties with the headlamp that didn't want to stay on, and I swung it around to my back in annoyance, which is where it stayed for eight miles after my teammates passed me a flashlight.  So now I'm holding a baton, mace, and a flashlight and have an extra headlight as a taillight.   But, I feel like I'm flying through the night.  I dreaded coming upon houses for fear of dogs protecting their homesteads.  None charged at me.



I had a flashback to my children's bus stop on Friday morning where my suburban neighbors looked at me like I was nuts for doing this race through rural, Eastern North Carolina.  This was not fun.  I thought about the recent dog attack article that I flipped past in Runner's World and news about the woman abducted and murdered on a run while some thugs were high on crack.  This is when I had the fleeting thought that I won't be back next year.

When I finally relaxed with just a little way to go, I told myself to try to enjoy some part of it.  The van finally moved ahead to the next exchange leaving me alone as the houses became more sparse.  It was then that I had a taste of what I love about night runs.  I saw a shooting star.  That was my moment.  I noticed a low lying fog rolling across the road just in front of me, and then saw another shooting star.  I also passed a few runners in the night.  I hate to admit it, but I enjoy that.



Our van went inactive from about 6AM until 11AM. My husband and I ended up on a team with a member who just happens to own a beach place in the area.  We drove there, arrived at sunrise and rested.  I was thankful to be able to stretch out my legs on a futon with a cozy comforter. Again, sleep did not come, but at least I was warm and relaxed.




My Third Run:  Leg 32; Crystal Coast Assembly of God to Western Regional Beach Parking Lot
My husband and I switched legs at the last minute.  I was meant to run this 4.94 mile leg, and I relished it.  It was a good challenge and probably one of the most scenic runs of the race.  My adrenaline surged in this heavily-populated, high traffic area that led us up and over the bridge to Emerald Isle.   When I began around 2PM, I faced a headwind running toward the Isle.  Then I encountered a large intersection at which I and another runner stopped for what seemed an eternity before we took a chance and darted through when we probably shouldn't have.  From a distance I could see a large, uphill bridge.  I charged up that hill; I had another runner in sight and eventually passed her.  That bridge was long, high, and up and downhill with a low railing.  I don't enjoy bridges or heights, so I tried to focus on my task while wanting to enjoy the view.  I looked over to see countless boats beside the bridge.  It was beautiful.




The Finish
We were incredibly proud of our finish.  On a journey like this, each is proud of individual accomplishments and the team accomplishment.  It is something to celebrate.  I wasn't the only one who had high expectations for the finish. Our captain half jokingly admitted that she picks races based on the after party.

I was disappointed with the finish line party.  We were one of the last teams to arrive, and the party had been going on for hours. My vision was one of enjoying a thick tuna steak on the beach.  Instead, I surveyed sushi sized single pieces of raw tuna on a few small plates.  That set the tone for me.  I saw a plate with two small slices and took that one.  Thank goodness they also served great, hearty barbecue sandwiches in the other corner of the tent.

We were handed medals still encased in plastic wrap, and there was no announcer or official photographer to capture the moment.  Volunteers or staff were helpful but not easily identifiable. More organization for distribution of food, beverages, medals and other items is needed.  Water wasn't available at the finish, and our last runner, our tireless and thirsty captain, had to drink a diet soda after crossing the finish line. I had one too, and neither of us drink diet soda.  This party could be an incredible draw for the race, and I have no doubt it will become that.  Standing on the beach with my teammates and husband made up for this problem of me having incredibly high standards and expectations.  We continued to enjoy each others' company through the evening and at dinner before we turned in early for much needed sleep.








No comments:

Post a Comment