Thursday, October 4, 2012

Kentucky Bourbon Chase 2012 Race Report



The Kentucky Bourbon Chase is described on its website as "... a  200-mile journey across the Bluegrass State -- through our historic bourbon distilleries, across our majestic horse country, and into our enchanting small towns."

It impresses from the opening party to the finish line celebration, from the scenic course to the hospitable distilleries, and from the super volunteers to the friendly townspeople.  The swag is nice, too.  It is all top notch.   To sum up my race, it was a series of unpredictable experiences that equaled a predictably overall great time.  This was my third Bourbon Chase, and it still held pleasant surprises.

Our 12-person "Well Aged" team finished the course in 29 hours 19 minutes and 24 seconds.  We placed 121 out of 287 teams and ranked 64th in the open mixed division, which consisted of men and women in a wide age range.  I was the ninth runner.  For my team, the race isn't about how we place, it's about enjoying the journey, our runs, and each other.


After the race I met my brother (a non-runner) at the finish line celebration.  When my husband explained to him what we had done during the race, my brother said that sounded like a really bad time.     Running 200 miles as a team with three relay legs each, totaling on average around 16.5 miles in just over 24 hours, with little or no sleep, and deficient personal hygiene doesn't appeal to him.

Why run the Chase?  For me it's an adventure and escape from my everyday, ordinary routine, worries, responsibilities and cares.  It's like being a kid again.  You can stay up all night, hang with friends, eat heartily, compete, and no one tells you to take a bath.



My Third Leg: Leg 33 
The biggest surprise this time was that my favorite leg was my third.  My plan was to run at my estimated pace of 8:30 per mile on that last 4.9 mile leg and take in the scenery on an enjoyable run.  This would be my first run during three Chases through the picturesque horse country approaching Midway, KY.  I worked at Midway College when I was younger but had never travelled the winding roads by those particular horse farms.  After running my previous two legs faster than my expected pace, with no sleep, I ran a little slower than my target on those small yet grueling hills.

When I began leg three, I was concerned about the blister on my foot. Then I forgot about the blister and felt discomfort in my knee.  I quickly forgot about my knee as I noticed that all of both legs ached.  That's what made it the best run. I saw the rolling hills of Bluegrass around me, and because I was miserable, yet able to move forward in one of the most beautiful places on Earth, I felt joy.


It was at this time that I saw what must have been eight horses standing at a black fence bordering the narrow road.  Two of the horses watched our race intently.  The irony was not lost on me.  I made my way closer to downtown, and when I approached the last turn, I saw a yard sign in support of State Representative Carl Rollins next to an Obama sign.  Rollins was my boss many years ago.  I smiled and headed through town toward my last hand off.



My Second Leg: Leg 21
This is the leg I looked most forward to running.  It was a 6 mile route from Harrodsburg to McAfee. My favorite legs in the past were in the middle of the night in cool temperatures when I took in the sounds and smells of rural fields as I moved swiftly under the moonlight.   This is the leg where I feel the race is on.  The faster teams pass my team (me) in the night, and I pass other slower runners.   We are all running alone unless in the process of passing or being passed.  In the darkness, especially on straight stretches of highway, I see a mesmerizing line of surreal blinking red lights and feel a peaceful solidarity with the other Chasers.


My First Leg: Leg 9 
I felt and ran well on this long leg of 8.4 miles. My legs were fresh and my adrenaline surged.  I planned to run the first part faster than my average pace because I would encounter more of an incline toward the end of the leg and would be slower then.  I left the town of Lebanon before dusk wearing a reflective vest, headlamp and blinking red light.  I took off like a shot and told myself to slow down.  My headlamp fell down around my neck, and I swung it to my back until I really needed it.

Darkness descended on this run, and I ran through a light rain.  While my teammates waited for me, they experienced a downpour at the exchange point.  My husband greeted me with a worried look and a towel.  During this leg, I was concerned about time and was well ahead of pace at the end.  The surprise this leg held was that the hills were not as challenging as I had anticipated.  I really wished I understood the elevation charts.

My hunch is that all overnight relays are special, but I cannot say enough about how fantastic this one is.  The highlight of the race is visiting several distilleries along the way where runners are made to feel welcome.  We could see the bourbon being made and stored and even got some samples.  The size of the race seems just right at around 300 teams.  It's large enough to generate excitement and rivalry among participants and small enough to feel intimate. I saw the race director several times including twice in the night when he was busy walking and talking on a cell phone or walkie talkie.  Kudos to you Mike Kuntz!

I first learned of this race at the Richmond Marathon Expo in 2009.  My husband was intrigued and interested while I declared I would never run an overnight relay.  Now I hope our team will be able to register for 2013.  Because the race is small and the demand is high, the race director is considering implementing a registration lottery.  If we are lucky next year, you will find us out on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.











No comments:

Post a Comment