Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sore in Blowing Rock

Late yesterday afternoon when some friends and I arrived in Blowing Rock, NC for a rare girls' weekend, we happened upon a parking lot filled with teams and white vans for the Blue Ridge Relay Race.  I was excited about the coincidence and started snapping pictures from the moving car.

Later, strolling through the quaint town, we saw some of the teams enjoying their downtime. I overheard an animated team talking with locals about the race.  That will be me and my teammates in three short weeks.  I longed to join them, but wasn't too envious because I know they will have one type of fun this weekend while I enjoy a more relaxing kind.  

Before my trip, my husband and I fit in our long runs separately in the morning.  I had 13 miles on my schedule, but knocked it down to 12  on the ATT.  He graciously reduced his run and spent part of his workout on the stationary bike so that he could be home with the kids.

My word for the day was "sore."  My left calf was sore during the run, and I still feel it. Earlier in the week my left leg felt tight, really tight.  On Wednesday I booked a massage for that night.  I have a massage once a month, and I always ask the masseuse to focus on my legs.  After the massage, I usually get a reminder about how important it is to stretch.  This week I got more of a sports type of massage, which only worked my legs.  It was such a relief.

The masseuse and I talked the entire session, and now I'm convinced I need to stretch more.  I understand why I've seen a relay team with its own masseuse and sports massages being offered to others along the course.   The soreness I experienced on my long run after the massage was more pronounced than the initial tightness, but it is less worrisome than when my leg felt tight, like something might snap.

I brought more yoga clothes with me for this weekend than running clothes, but once I saw the relay teams, I knew for sure that I would be lacing up my running shoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment