Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Running Tourist in Blowing Rock



After walking uphill to the trail head and surveying the scene ahead, I decided that running on a trail called The Maze was not a good idea. I saw a narrow, uphill trail, with two trees across it. I had been anticipating this adventure and eager for a serene, picturesque trail run. The recreation center attendant had recommended this trail, which would lead me to an even better trail around Bass Lake. I had told him that I would eat that trail for breakfast.  




Pressed for time and alone as I peered into the woods, this city girl recalled an article I had read the day before in Marie Claire about a young woman surviving a fall off a 50 foot cliff and being lost in the woods for days.  I turned around and headed for the familiar Main Street that would lead me to the park and past churches and shops.  

Early morning, runner tourists can have a place all to themselves.  I saw two other runners, a few walkers, and one lonely police car on the streets.  The sweet smell near Kilwin's chocolate and ice cream shop was as strong around 7:30AM on that Sunday morning as it was the day before when the town bustled with tourists and the line inside was too long for us to wait. The temperature was perfect at around 50 degrees.  My slow run up and down the gently sloping streets was no more hilly than one of my regular runs and lasted 45 minutes, including stops for taking pictures.



Stretching was not on my mind while being a running tourist in Blowing Rock, NC, even though a day earlier I vowed to do more.  I had a little time to squeeze in a run before breakfast, yoga, a shower, and check out.  I took off without thinking to stretch.  During the run I smelled breakfasts cooking, and when I finished, without thinking of stretching, I walked into the lodge at the Chetola Resort and toward one of the best breakfast buffets I've ever had.  My breakfast of blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs, strawberries, grits, and a tiny bagel with lox, capers, and cream cheese was a delicious reward for a run. I eyed the carrot cake but was glad to not have time for a return trip to the buffet.


  


No comments:

Post a Comment