Saturday, March 24, 2012

This is Me and My Blog


I am passionate about running.  It fuels my soul, brings me great joy, and helps me stay connected to nature and others who share my passion.  I am strong physically, and I feel that when I run -- on some days.  I am driven and goal oriented, and as my running evolves, I channel my energy into new challenges and adventures.  

I am a forty-something, at-home mom of two young, energetic girls and a wife to a multi-talented husband.  While pregnant with my second child and clinging to an elliptical machine at the  YMCA, I observed women running, seemingly effortless, on treadmills and decided that I would begin running after the baby arrived.   On a cold morning in early 2007, I joined a fellow mom for my first run, a two miler around a local lake.  In the beginning my running time was my me time and still continues to be that, but shortly thereafter I recognized it as much more because of the invaluable friendships I have forged along the way.  Now, because of willpower, determination and the support of my family and running community, I am a two-time Boston Marathon qualifier.  

Each runner has an unique history and story of how she came to run.  I would be remiss not to mention that I ran track and cross country in high school.  But that is when running ended for me as the rest of my life began.  That talent and my zeal for the sport lay dormant for 20 years. 

This is a record of my day-to-day observations and thoughts while on my runs when my mind is free to wander whether I am alone or with a group.  One of the great things about being a runner is that I get to notice nature and the community around me in a way that others might miss when in a hurry or in a car.   It is a blessing that I have the physical ability and time to run, and that I can notice the world around me.  On daylight runs I hope to capture some of the beauty I see and share it.  A goal I have set for myself is to turn ordinary iPhone pictures that I take while on runs into art by using apps.  I am not a photographer, and I am not technically inclined, so this will be a long learning curve to go along with this running journey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment