Sunday, January 13, 2013

This Umstead Run Was a Gift


I had a great run today in Umstead State Park.  Fog shrouded this solo run, and the temperature was an unseasonably warm and welcome 50 degrees.  As my legs powered me through the hilly park, this run was like a gift to affirm  my joy of running after a week that did not start well.

On Monday I fell in the darkness, skinned my knees, and tore a small hole in my favorite running pants.  I thought I had cleared a pile of yard waste curbside, but a stray, long branch tripped me.  I was stunned.  The fall felt like I was in slow motion.  When I went down with about a mile and a half to go, I wanted to stop, but I trudged on, slowly.  I can't remember the last time I skinned my knees.  I found renewed compassion for small children who fall and skin their knees.  We adults hug them and tell them they are fine, but they must be shocked, and darn, it hurts!

The Tuesday run did not go smoothly either.  During my track workout, I had technical difficulties with my watch and my Garmin.  It's challenging for me to use those in the dark when I am pressed for time.  I hit my paces even though I don't have a good number of laps recorded.  I was able to settle down and remind myself to quit taking myself so seriously.  Really, again, what did it matter?



On today's run wearing shorts and a t-shirt, I enjoyed the feel of the moist air on my skin with water droplets collecting in my hair making it a fuzzy mess at the end of my braid.  The fog softened the contours of the hilly course and enveloped me with a sense of having the park all to myself except for the moments when oncoming runners appeared briefly through the fog and quickly receded back into it.    
This was running at its best.

Training this past week:

Monday: 6 miles; 9:38 pace
Tuesday: 7.5 miles; 4 miles alternating between 8:20 and 7:40 pace
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 7 miles; 8:47 pace
Friday: cycling class + yoga
Saturday: 16 hilly miles: 9:28 pace
Sunday: Rest

No comments:

Post a Comment