Sunday, February 15, 2015

Boston Marathon Training: My Toughest Week Ever

Week Nine was the toughest ever in the history of my training: Never before had I run 60 miles in one week or included 10 miles of hill repeats.   On Monday I ran 10 miles of hill repeats during a 15 miler.  The next day was my first to include mileage on my cross training day.  Tuesday through Thursday I felt like I had just run a distance race.  During this training I have questioned why I am doing this.  By Friday I didn't care how slowly I was running during a recovery run, and on Saturday I was back at it just trying to get in the miles.

Week 8
Sunday:  Day off
Monday: 3 miles conversation pace, 8 miles of hill repeats, 3 miles at conversation pace
Tuesday:  2.3 miles (was supposed to cross train plus run 3-4 miles)
Wednesday:  12 miles at conversation pace
Thursday:  3.5 miles (was supposed to run 5 miles Fartlick during a 10 miler)
Friday: Ran 5.5-6 miles including warm up, cool down with 6 X 2 minutes speeds with 1 minute rest in between (average speed pace 6:52).  This was to make up for the Thursday run.
Saturday: 18 miles with the first half slower than second half.  Overall pace: 9:18.

Week 9
Sunday:  Day off
Monday: 3 miles conversation pace, 10 miles of hill repeats, 2 miles conversation pace
(hill repeat elevation gain: 1,234 feet; hill repeat elevation loss: 1,242 feet)
Tuesday:  cross trained with basic training class plus 3.5 miles
Wednesday:  10 miles conversation pace
Thursday:  2 miles conversation pace, 5 miles Fartlick, 3 miles conversation pace all on hilly route
Friday: 6 miles conversation pace
Saturday:  18 miles with 4 at race pace.  Race pace became increasingly sluggish:  8:11, 8:26, 8:32 and 8:37.  Last 3 miles of the run were also sluggish.  Overall pace for 18 miler:  9:22.

No comments:

Post a Comment