Thursday, April 17, 2014

Boston Marathon Training: Weeks 18 & 19


The Boston Marathon is in four days.  I am nervous, jittery, and carbohydrate deprived.   I spoke with my coach today, and she assures me that I am ready for the race.  The last time we talked about my time goal was in November when she asked me what my goal was.  I simply said that I'd like to do better than the last time.  No more was said until today. When I learned what my goal time is, I couldn't believe it.  My goal had been to join 36,000 other runners on Monday in a show of solidarity. As the race grew closer, I realized that I want to Boston qualify again during the race.  That's a little pressure.  I look forward to seeing what I can do on race day.

Over the past days, my love for the sport of running has grown even more as I participated in a number of running activities. This time has been filled with highs and lows.  I worked at the Raleigh Rock N Roll Marathon and Half Marathon Expo for the Tuna Run 200.  While there I encountered runners of all ages, abilities and experience levels, and I enjoyed learning about their upcoming races.  They inspired me to want to run more races just for the fun of it.  No time goals.  Just go run and have fun.

This was the inaugural Rock N Roll race in Raleigh.  My friend Holly and I spectated to support our numerous friends in the races and to support the running community in general.  We found a great spot near a band, held encouraging posters, and I rang a cow bell continuously for two hours while Holly cheered and clapped.  She turned to me at one point and said her face was going to be stuck in a smile.  I knew exactly what she meant.  I have three blisters on my hands from the bell, but it was worth it.   I then met my friend Rachel with whom I haven't run in way too long to complete my last long run before my race.  We were able to catch up on the latest in each other's lives over the course of the run.  I returned home and learned that two fatalities occurred at the Rock N Roll race.  That sad news cast a pall over the race for me and for all the runners  -- especially for those runners who saw the two men down on the course being attended to by medical personnel.

The following evening I attended a send off for Boston runners held by the nOg Run Club in Raleigh.  I didn't know quite what to expect, and decided at the last minute to join the club for a 3 mile run around downtown Raleigh where I have never run.  It was good to be with a group of people heading to Boston.

On the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings, I volunteered at the running club at my daughter's school.  I realized while doing a strenuous workout with the children that I was meant to be there with them on that day.  Children will continue to run and more will come to enjoy and maybe even love the sport as I do.  That evening we learned that a cruel, mentally disturbed person placed a backpack containing a rice cooker at the Marathon finish line.

My legs have felt slow and heavy during my last few runs (and I've been sore for days following that running club workout), and I have not been eating as well as I should have.  I was beginning to doubt myself, but Coach Brennan tells me that I should feel sluggish now.  I've decided not to be too hard on myself about eating properly.  At the first of the week, I was supposed to load up on protein and limit carbs, and then at the end of the week, I am supposed to load up on carbs.  The first day I avoided carbs, but forgot to pile on the protein.  By the end of the day I was famished.  My husband walked into the house with hot take out pizza, and I caved.  At least I only had two slices.  I've tried since then and get to indulge in carbs beginning tomorrow morning.  I have one more day in North Carolina before the race, and then we leave for Boston.  Boston Strong!

Last two weeks of training:

Sun.: Day off
Mon.: 7 miles at 9:16 average pace; strides not done
Tues.: Day off
Wed.: 2 miles warm up; 3 X 1 mile at 7:16 average pace; 1.5 miles cool down
Thurs.: Day off
Fri.: 5 miles at 9:48 average pace plus 8 X 100 meter strides
Sat. : Day off

Sun.: 12 miles at 9:10 average pace
Mon.: 3 miles, which felt fast.  Unplanned and not timed.
Tues.:  Day off (scheduled 6 miles)
Wed.: 2 miles warm up; 3 miles at an 8:27 pace; 1 mile cool down
Thurs.: Day off
Fri.: 6 miles at 10:00 pace plus 6 x 100 meter strides planned for the day
Sat.: Day off
Sun.: 2 miles easy jog planned
Mon.: 26.2 miles  -- race day coming up soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment