Monday, March 17, 2014

Boston Training: Week 14; Oh! My Old Kentucky Home


Last Saturday I was in Lexington, Kentucky to celebrate my father's 75th birthday.  We enjoyed a nice, family celebration there in the city where my brother currently resides and that happens to be a central meeting place for my parents and my sister.  About a week before the party, my sister and brother-in-law invited me to camp with them at the Kentucky Horse Park just outside of Lexington, and quite unexpectedly, I found myself training for the Boston Marathon in the heart of the Bluegrass.  Curious about areas to run near the Horse Park, I discovered the Kentucky Legacy Trail. In preliminary research I learned the trail begins at the Horse Park and ends in downtown Lexington.  When I set out on my adventure on that chilly morning, all I knew was where the Trail ends, that I needed to fit in a 17 mile run, and that a hotel was along the route -- somewhere.

I ran through the campground and found the Trail on the scenic side at the North Legacy Trailhead at Ironworks Pike.  The first phase of the trail opened three-and-one-half years ago with over eight miles of paved path from the Horse Park to the North Lexington Family YMCA.  The Trail website describes the Trail as "a public art venue, a place to learn about our environment and our past, and a great way to simply get healthy and enjoy our beautiful countryside."  I describe it as a treasure.

From the trailhead, I ran by Spindletop Hall, a University of Kentucky club, and then through farm fields of central Kentucky.  When I was alone in the morning light among the rolling fields, I felt gratitude.  I felt gratitude for the day, the run, my family and especially gratitude for being among simple beauty.  I stopped to watch a horse on a distant hill roll in the grass as others grazed nearby.  I felt at home and yet in a special place.  I lived in Lexington for eight years and drove to work among horse farms for five of them.  I don't ever remember taking the scenery for granted.

The trail then ran parallel to I-64 and I-75.  Since my childhood I have watched horses from the car window while traveling through the area.  I've always marveled at the scenery and horses.  This was the first time I wondered what the horses think about the incessant noise and commotion on the interstate.



A tunnel took me under the interstate and to Coldstream Farm and Park.  I had seen an occasional runner or bicyclist and wondered why I had seen so few on such a great trail.  Then I saw what looked to be runners sprinting toward me.  It didn't take long for me to realize that I was running toward a race.  I ran toward it, joined it, and got a jolt of energy that helped propel me for a good distance.  I learned from a fellow runner (most of them were around 25 years my junior) that I had joined a local St. Patrick's Day 5K organized by a sorority.  When the racers turned back mid race to head toward the finish, I continued following the trail before me.  After a short uphill, I found myself outside of the Park and parallel to a road, which must have been the way to downtown.  I preferred the pastoral setting, so I turned around and decided to rejoin the race.

When I made it back, I was passing the walkers at the back of the race.  I ran among them on the trail through the Park and toward the finish line near Embassy Suites.   I jumped out of the race about 200 meters before the finish.  Cheering spectators seemed concerned that I wasn't finishing the race.  It wasn't my race to finish.  I looked on at the finish line festivities and the big white tent where pancakes were being cooked and served.  Then I ran up the hill to seek a gift shop to buy Powerade and to use the facilities.

On my return trip, I shared the Trail with more bicyclists and runners.  My effort seemed like work on the way back, but it was okay because my heart was filled with peace and gratitude as I ran toward a family celebration.


The horse on the right in the foreground rolled in the field.  This is one of the spots on the trail where I was filled with gratitude. 


Training for the Week:
Sat.: 17 miles at 9:10-9:15 pace (estimated average pace)
Sun.: Day off
Mon.:  8 mile hilly general aerobic run at 9:26 average pace
Tues.: speed work:  5X1000 meters at 7:14 average pace with 3:00 minute jogs in between plus 2 miles warm up and 2 miles cool down
Wed.: Day off
Thurs.: 8 hilly miles at 9:32 average pace
Fri.: 4 mile recovery run at 10 minute average pace




No comments:

Post a Comment