Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Voted on the Run

Today, North Carolina held primary elections.  I like election days because I feel empowered;  my voice is heard.  The big draw to the polls was the opportunity to vote in favor of or against an amendment to the State constitution.  The new amendment, if approved by voters, would define marriage as between one man and one woman.

I gathered all my gear and set out on a warm up for speed work, a run that takes me past my designated polling place, St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church.  The Church is about a mile from my house, so I was glistening when I walked through the door.  I seemed out of place among the elder election volunteers and few citizens gathered to cast their ballots.  But, I was happy.  I was happy to have the opportunity to vote and happy because I was on a run.  Talking with volunteers, I learned that I was the third person on a run to stop in today.  I watched my ballot be tabulated and received my "I voted" sticker.  I love wearing that sticker:  It's like a badge that states I did my civic duty.

I ran another mile and paused to take off my fuel belt, which contained my sample ballot.  I noticed my calves were tighter than ever as a result of my new running form, but I was able to go about the workout with confidence and a swift pace.   Many people and pets were on the trail, almost like obstacles, perhaps because of the beautiful weather or the opportunity to vote.   When I finished I noticed my sticker was missing, so on the cool down, I ran back to get a new one.  Standing just inside the door to the Church was a couple I know and another man I recognized from my children's bus stop.  Suddenly conscious of my flushed face and dripping sweat, I blurted out that I was embarrassed for them to see me like that.  They didn't seem to mind.   Grateful for the new sticker, I tucked it safely inside the pouch on my belt and started on my route toward home.  In the parking lot I passed an acquaintance who had been pushing her baby's stroller on the trail as I ran past.  Making assumptions, I thought that our votes must have cancelled out each other's.  Either way, she probably felt as satisfied with her sticker as I was with mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment